What is the PGA of America’s Golf Industry Supplier Diversity Initiative?
The motivation for creating The PGA of America’s Golf Industry Supplier Diversity Initiative began with the first ever “Golf Industry Supplier Diversity Forum” held in conjunction with the 55th Annual PGA Merchandise Show in February of 2008. Facilitated by National Diversity Solutions (NDS), a leading certified minority-owned strategic sourcing and supply base optimization company, the event explored the business case of “The Power of Supplier Diversity in a Global Golf Economy”. Attendees included Joseph P. Steranka, CEO, The PGA of America, PGA of America Officers and Earnie Ellison, Jr., Director of Business and Community Relations, The PGA of America, as well as some of the leading minority- and women-owned business owners in the United States.
Based on the positive feedback received from this event, The PGA of America’s Golf Industry Supplier Diversity Initiative was officially launched the following year in conjunction with the 56th Annual PGA Merchandise Show. Based on a powerful business case that shows a definite correlation between the projected increase in minority population, the overall buying power of this growth market and its potential to affect the game and business of golf, the overall goals of the Initiative are to:
- Increase the number of minority and women owned businesses “invested” in golf
- Increase the volume of spend with these companies
- Leverage the above to increase participation rates in golf among people of color and women
What are the benefits to your organization for supporting the Initiative?
The PGA of America’s Golf Industry Supplier Diversity Initiative is a unique program that builds upon The PGA’s commitment to achieving greater diversity and participation in the game and business of golf. The goal of the Initiative is to increase spending by golf industry companies with minority and women-owned suppliers of infrastructure goods and services (not golf specific products) while, at the same time, growing participation from these same consumer segments in the game of golf.
Through the inclusion of some of the most successful minority- and women-owned companies in the United States, this offers a means for your organization, and its members, to further tap into these new growth markets while enhancing your existing strategic sourcing and procurement efforts.
- Affiliation with a unique program that is endorsed and supported by The PGA of America, the largest working sports organization in the world
- Recognition as a champion of inclusion within the golf industry
- Immediate access to a “ready-made” supplier diversity program
- Provides potential for additional revenue by tapping into new growth markets|Offers additional valuable media exposure